This whole dinner was a complete and happy accident. The short ribs came together beautifully with some odds and ends in the fridge and jicama and cauliflower mash will forever be on the menu. I had never tried using jicama in place of potatoes, but it works.
Makes 1 cup
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium to large jicama, peeled and large dice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups veggie stock or water
- 1 tbsp butter or vegan butter, room temp
- 1/4 cup cream or cashew cream, room temp
HOW YOU MAKE IT
- Place jicama and minced garlic in a small pot, cover with veggie stock
- Place pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Jicama will never be totally tender, like a potato, but it should be easily pierced with a fork
- Remove pot from heat and drain excess stock or water
- Put jicama and cauliflower back in the pot. Add butter and 1/2 the cream.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the jicama and cauliflower until smooth. add more cream as needed.
- Salt and pepper to taste.