My brother, sister in law and niece were coming over for dinner and I wanted to make a dessert that would be a crowd pleaser and had no refined sugar. Enter this beautiful marriage of my chocolate avocado mousse with this gluten free crust, courtesy of @bakerita. This is my go to crust recipe. It’s quick and easy and has no refined sugar. I used date syrup this time over maple, and the results were still outstanding. I don’t have a round, tart pan handy, so I use this 6×8″ rectangular pan, and it turns out beautifully. I omitted the orange juice and zest, and it was still to die for.
FOR THE CRUST – Recipe from @bakerita
- ½ cup (40g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1½ cups (190g) blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (30g) coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons (30g) maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse together almond flour, salt and shredded coconut until finely ground. Melt together coconut oil and maple syrup and add to almond flour and coconut mixture. Pulse until coarse crumbs form (dough should clump together when squeezed with fingers).
- Transfer dough to a greased 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press dough in bottom and up sides of pan.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 12-16 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, at least 1 hour.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 1 cup chocolate chips, gems, shavings melted (If you don’t have chocolate chips, you can use 1/4 cup cacao/cocoa powder, add +1 tbsp sweetener)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk/cream (I like to refrigerate so the cream rises to the top)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- *OPTIONAL – Add 1 tbsp Maca powder or Reishi Powder
Fruit/berries of your choice for topping
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Melt chocolate over double boiler
- Add avocado, coconut cream, vanilla or almond extract and maple syrup to blender and blend until well combined
- While blender is on low speed, add melted chocolate through top. Blend until well combined.
- Pour into bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour
TO ASSEMBLE THE TART
- Use a spatula to get the mousse onto the crust. Smooth out so that the mousse is spread evenly on the crust.
- Top with fruit/berries of your choice